2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pound boneless skinless chicken pieces (breast or thighs, whichever you prefer)
1 cup long-grain brown rice
½ cup sofrito
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ cup pitted olives, quartered
4 oz tomato sauce (unsalted)
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Brown chicken on each side for approximately 5 minutes, then remove and set aside.
- Stir in the sofrito, cumin, olives and tomato sauce and cook for 4 minutes at low heat. Stir in the rice and chicken and mix well, then add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes, covered, until internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, then garnish with fresh thyme.
An Oldways recipe