3½ cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
¾ cup wild rice
¾ cup jasmine or other long-grain white rice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 6.5 ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, chopped, reserving liquid
1 tablespoon minced, fresh oregano or ½ teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ﬁnely grated lemon peel
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
½ cup thinly sliced green onions
- In a 4- to 5-quart saucepan, bring broth to a boil over high heat. Add wild rice; reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer until grains begin to open and feel tender to bite, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in white rice. Cover tightly, and simmer until tender to bite and liquid is absorbed, about 20 to 25 more minutes.
- While wild and white rice cook, heat olive oil in a 10-12- inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, artichoke hearts, oregano and lemon peel. Stir often over medium heat until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- When rice is done, remove from heat and gently stir in onion-artichoke mixture, ¼ cup reserved marinade, feta cheese and green onions. Serve immediately.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the California Wild Rice Advisory Board