1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon coriander
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 whole (4-pound) chicken
2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, no salt added, drained and rinsed
1 bunch kale, stems removed and roughly torn
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Make the spice blend by combining the cinnamon, coriander, cumin, oregano, paprika, turmeric, salt, and chili powder in a small bowl. Stir well. Measure out 2 tablespoons of the spice blend (for the chickpeas) and set aside in a medium mixing bowl.
- Remove giblets (if included) and pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Use your hands to rub the remaining spice blend over the chicken, along with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and place in a large Dutch oven or large roasting dish.
- Put the chicken in the oven, uncovered, and roast for 55 minutes. While the chicken is roasting, add the chickpeas to the mixing bowl with the 2 tablespoons of spice blend. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and mix well.
- Remove chicken from oven, spoon the juices over the top of the chicken (using a spoon or a baster), then add the spiced chickpea mixture to the Dutch oven surrounding the chicken. Cook for an additional 30 minutes, or until a meat thermometer reaches 165°F when inserted in the thickest part of the thigh.
- Meanwhile, place the kale leaves on a large serving platter.
- When the chicken is done, very carefully use tongs or two spatulas to place it on top of the kale on the serving platter. Carefully pour the chickpeas and juices onto the platter over the kale as well. The hot chicken and juices will wilt the kale leaves and ﬂavor them while the chicken rests. Let the chicken rest 30 minutes before carving and serving to retain juiciness.
(Nutritional analysis does not include skin of chicken)
An Oldways recipe, courtesy of Kelly Toups (inspired by recipes from Miranda Hammer and Melissa Clark)
Total Fat: 16g
Saturated Fat: 2.5g
Total Sugar: 2g (Added Sugar: 0g)