1 ½ cups short grain brown rice
3 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces padron peppers (can substitute shishitos)
1 leek, white and light green parts thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons Spanish smoked paprika
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon crumbled saﬀron threads (optional, but recommended)
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, no-salt-added
½ cup white wine
½ cup peas (fresh or frozen and thawed)
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup artichoke hearts
1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
¼ cup unsalted peanuts
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a large pot, add the brown rice and cover with several inches of water. Bring to a boil, then let the rice boil for 15 minutes. Drain oﬀ the excess liquid and set the partially-cooked rice aside.
- Warm a large, oven-safe paella pan or Dutch oven (preferably a pan that is at least 12 inches in diameter) over medium-low heat. Coat the bottom of the pan with 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the padron peppers and blister them for a minute or two on each side, then use tongs to transfer them to a plate.
- Sautee the leeks and bell pepper and cook until soft, about 5-10 minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, salt, and saﬀron and stir, cooking for an additional minute.
- Add the tomatoes, then cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat it with the tomato mixture. Add the wine and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the liquid is reduced, taking care not to stir the rice.
- Gently pour in the peas, chickpeas, artichokes, and vegetable broth and stir gently, just to combine. Nestle the padron peppers into the rice, then transfer the pan into the oven, uncovered, and bake for 30-40 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is fully cooked.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed. Top with crushed peanuts and fresh herbs before serving.
An Oldways recipe and photograph, created in Partnership with The Peanut Institute peanut-institute.org
Total Fat: 11g
Saturated Fat: 1.5g
Total Sugar: 6g (Added Sugar: 0g)