1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup whole wheat orzo
1 small zucchini, julienned
1 carrot, julienned
2 cups broth
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tsp dried oregano
1 cup baby spinach, torn
1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
salt and pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in orzo, zucchini, pepper and carrot, cook for another 2 — 3 minutes.
- Pour in broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, and oregano. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer. Stir occasionally, cooking until pasta is al dente, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and tomatoes. Continue to cook until spinach wilts and tomatoes are warm. Season to taste and serve.
An Oldways recipe and photo. Karen Mansur, Oldways and the Whole Grains Council