Join Oldways, James Beard award-winning chef Ana Sortun, and award-winning cookbook author and cooking teacher Aglaia Kremezi in Crete! Experience ﬁrsthand why Crete is known for its rich history and heritage, its splendid cuisine that is the foundation of the Mediterranean Diet, and its strikingly beautiful landscape.
We’ll be based in the two major cities of Crete—Heraklion and Chania—both wonderful and very diﬀerent. We’ll venture into the mountains and visit small villages, monasteries, organic farms, wineries, and pottery workshops, as well as producers of cheese, honey, and olive oil. We’ll have a guided tour of the world-class archaeological site of Knossos, which was the capital of the powerful Minoan civilization almost 4,000 years ago. And, of course, we’ll have wonderful cooking demonstrations by Ana, Aglaia, and a few of Aglaia’s favorite Cretan chefs.
The cost for the trip is $4700 per person for a double-occupancy room. (Regardless of when you book, there is an additional $500 for a single room.) Cost includes hotel, all trip activities, transport to/from activities, and most meals. Cost does not include airfare to Greece or transportation to/from the airport.
Our exploration of Crete will include:
A cooking class in Heraklion with Ana Sortun
- A guided tour of Knossos and its spectacular palace
- Visits to producers of honey, cheese, wine, and olive oil, with tastings
- Guided visits to Chania’s food market
- Visits to small villages, meeting producers of artisanal products
- Cooking demonstrations in both Heraklion and Chania by Greek chefs, with Ana and Aglaia assisting
- Wonderful meals featuring the traditional foods and ingredients of Crete—in seaside trattorias, in mountain restaurants, and in Heraklion and Chania
- And much, much more!
We’ll meet in Heraklion on Sunday, October 21, 2018. The price of the tour includes most meals, 5-star hotel accommodations for 7 nights (3 nights at the Megaron Hotel in Heraklion and 4 nights at the Minoa Palace Resort in Chania). Participants make their own arrangements for airfare (ﬂy into Heraklion and out of Chania, OR in and out of Heraklion) and transportation to/from the airport.
For more information or to register, please click here to ﬁll out our webform.
We hope you’ll join us for this unforgettable culinary and cultural journey!