Once again, the U.S. News and World Report has named the Mediterranean Diet #1 in Best Diets Overall. Rich in plant-based foods, whole grains, beans and legumes, and healthy fats such as olive oil, it has been linked time and time again with health beneﬁts including improved heart and brain function, weight loss, and diabetes management and prevention.
In fact, the Mediterranean Diet also ranked:
- #1 Easiest Diet to Follow
- #1 Diet for Healthy Eating
- #1 Best Diet for Diabetes
- #1 Best Diet for Heart Health (tied)
- #1 Best Plant-Based Diet
While fad diets come and go, the Mediterranean diet is backed by decades of research and centuries of culinary tradition. Part of the Mediterranean diet’s appeal is that it is not a rigid “diet” at all, but an overall balanced lifestyle based on delicious, nutrient-dense foods, the pleasures of sharing meals amongst friends and family, and joyful movement. You can see just how easy it is to immerse yourself in the Mediterranean diet by using Oldways’ 4-Week Mediterranean Diet Menu Plan as your guide.
Since releasing the Mediterranean Diet Pyramid with the Harvard School of Public Health and World Health Organization more than 25 years ago, we’ve worked to make this diet accessible to all by emphasizing a simple and delicious truth: though the health beneﬁts are far-reaching, you don’t need to travel farther than your local supermarket to adopt life-changing habits.
At its core, the diet is plant-based, focused on healthy fats and fresh foods, and emphasizes enjoyment and moderation at the table. By “Mediterranean-izing” your meals, you can experience new ﬂavors while nourishing your mind, body, and senses in the process.
In addition to the pyramid, there are numerous ways to celebrate the Mediterranean Diet with us:
- International Mediterranean Diet month in May, which we founded in 2009
- Symposia and educational tours to Mediterranean countries featuring chefs and thought leaders in nutrition and food
- A wealth of free electronic resources and recipes for consumers and health professionals
- The 4-Week Mediterranean Diet Menu Plan Book
- Consistently updated library of health studies
- A biweekly email newsletter with tips and recipes