We hope you enjoy the Mediterranean Diet 12 months of the year. That said, each year in May we shine an extra spotlight on the fabulous ﬂavors and accessible, aﬀordable foods that make up this remarkable way of eating.
This month-long promotional campaign, created in 2009 by the Oldways Mediterranean Foods Alliance, generates awareness of the delicious foods and wide-ranging health beneﬁts associated with the Mediterranean Diet and its vibrant lifestyle through special media outreach and interviews, supermarket samplings, discounts for health professionals and social networking with the hashtag #MedMonth.
People Listen When We All Share The Same Message During May
The Mediterranean Diet is a lifestyle approach to easy, healthy eating. It reﬂects a way of eating that is traditional in the countries that surround the Mediterranean, but you don’t need to travel any father than to your local supermarket to discover its delicious ﬂavors and fresh foods. Scientiﬁc evidence shows that it can help with weight loss, reduce risk of heart disease and high blood pressure, ﬁght certain cancers and more. Embracing the Med Diet is all about making some simple but profound changes in the way you eat today, tomorrow, and for the rest of your life. As we like to say: Make Each Day Mediterranean!
What Can You Do To Celebrate?
- Bring the Mediterranean diet to your community. Oldways creates “Toolkits” of useful resources for health professionals to use in educating others — or for anyone wanting to learn on their own. Download our Shop and Taste the Med Diet Toolkit for guides to organizing your own olive oil or cheese tasting, hosting a Mediterranean Diet store tour, demo-ing Mediterranean Diet recipes and a PowerPoint on the Mediterranean Diet.
- Download our free, printable handouts: 5 Med Makeover Meals, Med Pyramid Flyer, Med Diet Grocery List, Med Diet 101 Brochure, Getting Started with the Med Diet and Olive Oil 101. Check out our popular 12 Great Ways to Use collection for tips on using speciﬁc Mediterranean ingredients.
- Stock up on hard copies of Oldways Mediterranean Diet brochures, tear pads, and other nutrition education materials. Vist the Oldways Store for bulk discounts and co-branding opportunities. Our easily digestible resources make it easy to explain the basics of the Mediterranean diet.
- Share your celebration using #MedMonth on social media. Follow Oldways on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Sign up for our Mediterranean newsletters. Stay in touch after Med Month ends! Subscribe to Fresh Fridays, our bi-weekly newsletter with recipes and tips for following the Mediterranean Diet, or the Mediterranean Diet Research Digest, our bimonthly list of the most recent scientiﬁc research on the Mediterranean Diet.
2018 In Review
- Test your knowledge of Mediterranean foods. We made a new quiz that you can still take — share your results with friends.
- Share our latest Mediterranean Diet infographic. We debuted a new tool to illustrate three good reasons to try the Med Diet!
- Take our Med Diet calendar challenge. Another way to make it a Mediterranean month! Can you complete all 31 days?
- Limited edition Med 25 Bundle. We combined our three most popular Med items for a special deal to celebrate the pyramid’s 25th anniversary.
- #RecipeOfTheDay. We featured a fresh Mediterranean recipe on our Twitter account every day.
2017 In Review
- How Well Do You Know Mediterranean Foods? We created a fun quiz to let you test your Mediterranean diet I.Q. Take the quiz now!
- Med Month Challenge Calendar. Download our 2017 Med Month Calendar and challenge yourself and others to Make Each Day Mediterranean! There’s a small challenge for each of the 31 days in May, 2017.
- Blogs, articles, TV segments, radio shows, and more. Scroll through past Med Month blog posts here.
- Make It Mediterranean! We partnered with Kroger and The Little Clinic for a ﬁrst-of-its kind program to showcase the myriad delicious and healthy foods of the Mediterranean through store samplings, in-store dietitian programming, media outreach, and more. Read on to learn more about our other partners for Med Month 2017.
Our 2017 partners committed to celebrating Med Month in May in big ways and small, from hosting store-wide Mediterranean food samplings at their supermarket to using #MedDietMonth for the recipes they share on social media.
- Big Y
- Choices Markets
- K-VA-T Food Stores
- Martin’s Food Markets
- Niemann Foods/County Market
- PCC Natural Markets
- Rouses Markets
- Wakefern Food Corporation
- Weis Markets
- Al Wadi Al Akhdar
- California Olive Ranch
- FOODMatch (Divina)
- Grecian Delight Foods
- Mooney Farms
Commodity Boards and Other Organizations
- American Pulse Association
- California Walnut Commission
- Egg Nutrition Center
- National Fisheries Institute
- North American Olive Oil Association
- The Peanut Institute
2016 In Review
- How Mediterranean is your Diet? We created a special (and fun!) quiz to let you stack your current eating habits up against the Mediterranean diet. Take the quiz now!
- Blogs, articles, newscasts, and more. See the media buzz from Med Month 2016 here.
- Supermarket Sampling. A large number of supermarkets across the U.S. hired registered dietitians to help shoppers understand the links between good food and good health. Oldways and the MFA created a special kit of resources for supermarket RDs, and invited as many stores as possible to plan Mediterranean events during May.
- Mediterranean Diet Toolkit. Oldways creates “Toolkits” of useful resources for health professionals to use in educating others — or for anyone wanting to learn on their own. Our “Shop and Taste the Med Diet” Toolkit contains everything you need to create a Med Month event at your workplace, from a PowerPoint and handouts to research and cooking demo scripts.
- Social Media Giveaways. Throughout the month of May, Oldways gave away our Oldways 4-Week Mediterranean Diet Menu Plan and other freebies on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. We also co-hosted a Twitter party with the Harvard School of Public Health on May 1. Panelists included:
• Sharon Palmer, @SharonPalmerRD, The Plant-Powered Dietitian
• USA Pulses, @USAPulses, Pulse Pledge
• California Olive Ranch, @CAOliveRanch, CA Olive Ranch EVOO + Health
• California Walnuts, @CaWalnuts, Health and CA Walnuts
• Culture: the word on cheese, @culturecheese, Culture’s Cheese 101
- Mediterranean Month Calendar. Download our 2016 calendar of tips and ideas for every day of the month to inspire a step a day toward a healthier way of eating.