A newly released study links the Mediterranean diet with a quarter reduction of heart disease risk in women, in the latest contribution to decades of research conﬁrming the substantial beneﬁts of this healthy lifestyle. In the study, women who followed a Mediterranean diet most closely were 28% less likely to develop heart disease than those not following a Mediterranean diet, likely related to factors including lowered inﬂammation, blood sugar, and body mass index.
Here’s the simple and delicious truth: though the health beneﬁts are far-reaching, you don’t need to travel farther than your local supermarket to adopt life-changing habits.
Since releasing the Mediterranean Diet Pyramid with the Harvard School of Public Health and World Health Organization more than 25 years ago, Oldways has worked to make this way of eating – and its numerous beneﬁts – accessible for all. At its core, the diet is plant-based, focused on healthy fats and fresh foods, and emphasizes enjoyment and moderation at the table.
Ready to get started? Oldways is here to help you incorporate Mediterranean diet habits into your life for better health:
- Free electronic resources. Learn through infographics, shopping guides, and quizzes on all things Mediterranean.
- Recipes for consumers and health professionals, from breakfast, lunch, dinner, and everything in between.
- The 4-Week Mediterranean Diet Menu Plan Book, which makes healthy meal planning simple and delicious.
- A biweekly email newsletter, Fresh Fridays, with tips, recipes, and Mediterranean inspiration straight to your inbox.
- A consistently updated library of health studies with the latest research news.
- Elegant and educational culinary tours to Mediterranean countries featuring chefs and thought leaders in nutrition and food. (You can explore the Veneto, Italy with us in April 2019!)
- International Mediterranean Diet Month. Since 2009, this monthlong celebration created by Oldways has been starting conversations about the Mediterranean diet. When we all share the same message in May, people listen!
Oldways is a food and nutrition nonproﬁt with a mission to inspire people to embrace the healthy and sustainable joys of the old ways of eating. We believe that food is one of the greatest gifts of heritage, and that we can learn a lot by returning to the customs of our ancestors: food made by sun, soil, water and care.
Join the Make Every Day Mediterranean Club Facebook group for additional information and support.
Add a Comment