Black Beans & Brown Rice
A staple pair throughout the African diaspora, beans-and-rice can be enjoyed separately or together to round out any meal. Time saving tip: prepare extra brown rice and store the leftovers in the refrigerator or freezer for another meal.
- 1 (20 oz.) can of no-salt black beans
- 3 cloves minced garlic, minced
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 4 cups water
To make beans:
1. In a medium sized pan, cook the garlic, black beans and their liquid on medium-high heat (3 minutes). Then simmer on low until the entire meal is ready to eat. Cook time is only about 5-6 minutes for these tasty beans.
To make rice:
1. Bring water and rice to a boil, and then simmer for 35-40 minutes.
Mix rice and beans together – and enjoy!
► Cost Per Serving: $0.33
*All costs based on actual grocery store prices in January 2012. Prices may vary by location.