Once again, the U.S. News and World Report has named the Mediterranean Diet #1 in Best Diets Overall. Rich in plant-based foods, whole grains, beans and legumes, and healthy fats such as olive oil, it has been linked time and time again with health beneﬁts including improved heart and brain function, weight loss, and diabetes prevention.
In fact, the Mediterranean Diet also ranked:
- #1 Easiest Diet to Follow
- #1 Healthy Eating Diet
- #1 Best Diabetes Diet
- #1 Best Plant-Based Diet
While fad diets come and go, the Mediterranean Diet is backed by decades of research and centuries of culinary tradition. Part of the Mediterranean Diet’s appeal is that it is not a rigid “diet” at all, but an overall balanced lifestyle based on delicious foods, the pleasures of sharing meals with friends, and joyful movement. You can see just how easy it is to immerse yourself in the Mediterranean diet by using Oldways’ 4-Week Mediterranean Diet Menu Plan as your guide.
Since releasing the Mediterranean Diet Pyramid with the Harvard School of Public Health and World Health Organization more than 25 years ago, we’ve worked to make this diet accessible to all by emphasizing a simple and delicious truth: though the health beneﬁts are far-reaching, you don’t need to travel farther than your local supermarket to adopt life-changing habits.
There are numerous ways to celebrate the Mediterranean Diet with us:
- Participate in our January Mediterranean Diet Facebook Challenge. Follow along the 4-Week Menu Plan Book with us beginning on January 6, 2020
- Experience the delicious traditions of the Mediterranean Diet ﬁrsthand on a culinary tour of Sicily May 3-10, 2020. CPEU credits are available to registered dietitians who attend the tour
- Get menu plans, grocery list pads, magnets, and more to help you stack on track
- Find a wealth of free electronic resources and recipes for consumers and health professionals
- Read the latest health news in our health studies library
- Celebrate International Mediterranean Diet month in May, which we founded in 2009
- Subscribe to our biweekly email newsletter with tips and recipes
Join the Make Every Day Mediterranean Club Facebook group for additional information and support.
Sign up for our Fresh Fridays Mediterranean newsletter by clicking the Subscribe button at the bottom of this page.