Active time20 minutes
Total time1 hour 15 minutes
Serving Size1/6 recipe
½ tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
2 scallions, chopped
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 sprigs of thyme, leaves removed and chopped
2 tablespoons curry powder
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon allspice
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
1 (13-ounce) can coconut milk
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 Scotch Bonnet pepper, chopped or ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, washed and strained
salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium-high heat, add the onion. Cook until onions are golden brown and soft.
- Mix in the chopped bell pepper, scallions, ginger, garlic, and thyme, and cook until soft.
- Add curry powder, cumin, paprika, and allspice, stir, and cook for one minute.
- Add lentils and coconut milk, and mix.
- Add four cups of low sodium vegetable broth, bring to a boil, cover saucepan and cook for 45 minutes until lentils are soft.
- Add the pepper, carrot, and chickpeas. Bring to a boil again, reduce to simmer until carrots are cooked, about 10 minutes. If the curry is too thick, add water. Check the seasoning, and add salt & pepper to taste if needed. Serve immediately, as lentil curry will thicken as it cools.
An Oldways recipe, courtesy of Brianne Brathwaite
Total Fat: 16g
Saturated Fat: 12g
Total Sugar: 4g (Added Sugar: 0g)
Review this Recipe