Active time30 minutes
Total time2 hours 40 minutes
Serving Size1 roll
2 cups water
½ cup bulgur wheat
1 package (¼ ounce) active dry yeast
1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
½ cup quick-cooking oats
⅓ cup honey
2 tsp. salt
¾ tsp. pepper
2 cups whole wheat ﬂour
2 to 3 cups all-purpose ﬂour
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp. each celery seed, fennel seed, and sesame seeds
1 tsp. poppy seeds
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in bulgur. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the oats, honey, eggs, salt, pepper, cooked bulgur and whole wheat ﬂour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose ﬂour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly ﬂoured surface; knead until elastic, about 6-8 minutes (mixture will be lumpy). Place in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1¼ hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly ﬂoured surface; divide into 22 pieces. Roll each into a ball. Brush two 9-in. round baking pans with some of the oil.
- Arrange 11 balls in each pan; brush tops with remaining oil. Combine the celery seed, fennel seed, sesame seeds and poppy seeds; sprinkle over rolls. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375°F for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks and let cool to store or serve warm.
Recipe courtesy Taste of Home magazine. Visit TasteofHome.com for more whole grain recipes.
Total Fat: 2.5g
Saturated Fat: 0.5g
Total Sugars: 7g (Added Sugar: 6g)
Review this Recipe