1 TBS olive oil
½ cup chopped red onions
2 tsp dried tarragon
⅛ tsp ground red pepper (cayenne) or some red pepper ﬂakes
8 oz mushrooms, coarsely chopped (a mix of shitakes and button mushrooms works well)
½ cup thawed frozen chopped spinach, squeezed dry or about 2 cups fresh. chopped and wilted
¼ cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
Pinch grated nutmeg
6 sheets phyllo dough (thawed, if frozen)
2 tsp olive oil (spray is great) or a little melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make the ﬁlling. Saute onions, with tarragon and cayenne or pepper ﬂakes, for about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue cooking for 6-8 minutes, or until liquid given oﬀ by mushrooms has evaporated.
- Put onion/mushroom mix in a large bowl. Add spinach and roasted red peppers; mix well. Stir in feta and nutmeg.
- Layer 6 sheets of phyllo dough ﬂat on a cookie sheet, with a little spray or brush of olive oil between each.
- Dump ﬁlling in the middle and spread, keeping away from all edges. Fold the small ends in, then fold the long sides in. Dot just a little butter on the top, or spray with more olive oil.
- Bake at 350° until golden (maybe 10 minutes).
Roasted red peppers: You can buy these already roasted, or roast them yourself. Cut raw peppers in half, smoosh ﬂat on a cookie sheet, and put skin side up under the broiler until the skin turns black. Drop them into a bowl of ice water, and the blackened skin will come oﬀ easily, leaving you with a lovely chunk of roasted red pepper.
Fresh spinach: If you’re using fresh spinach, chop it ﬁnely and add to the onions and mushrooms in Step 2, cooking until it wilts.
An Oldways recipe and photo.
Review this Recipe