2 cups plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 small fennel bulb, ﬁnely chopped
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and ﬁnely chopped
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon minced fresh garlic
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup drained sun dried tomatoes in olive oil and herbs, chopped, oil reserved
2 tablespoons oil from jar of sun dried tomatoes
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons regular oats
2 tablespoons minced red onion
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 ½ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon ﬁnely ground black pepper
1.5 pounds ground lamb
4 ounces feta cheese, ﬁnely crumbled
Olive oil, for brushing grill rack
6 small whole wheat buns
3 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
6 thin slices ripe tomato
- Make the sauce: combine sauce ingredients in a medium bowl and stir until well mixed. Taste and adjust seasonings, cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat a gas grill to medium high, or prepare a medium-hot ﬁre in a charcoal grill with a cover.
- Combine sun dried tomatoes, oil from tomatoes, oats, onion, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor. Process to a smooth paste.
- Combine paste with lamb and feta in a large bowl. Stir until well mixed, taking care not to overwork. Gently form into six equal sized patties.
- Brush grill rack with oil. Grill patties with cover down for about 4 minutes on each side or until done to preference.
- Assemble the burgers on the whole wheat buns with lettuce, a slice of tomato, and desired amount of sauce.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Mooney Farms.