Active time30 minutes
½ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon ground cumin
4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
4 fresh husked tomatillos (can substitute green or red tomatoes)
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes;
1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup frozen corn kernels
1 medium green zucchini or yellow squash, halved and then sliced in halfmoons
½ teaspoon chipotle or cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup cooked brown rice
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (optional garnish)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat and cook the onion until it becomes translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Toss in the garlic, oregano, allspice and cumin, and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring so the garlic doesn’t brown.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, the tomatillos and can of tomatoes. Bring to boil, turn the heat down, and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans, corn, squash, chipotle sauce, and salt. Bring back to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cup of cooked brown rice (newly cooked or from leftovers) into the soup for the last 4-5 minutes of cook-time.
An Oldways recipe and photo.
Review this Recipe