1 bunch beets with greens attached
16 ½-inch-thick slices baguette, preferably whole-grain, cut on the diagonal
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons water
¼ teaspoon salt
4 ounces creamy goat cheese
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Trim greens from beets, reserving stems and greens. Place the beets in a baking pan, cover with foil and roast until very tender when pierced with a knife, 45 minutes to 1 ½ hours, depending on the size of the beets. Uncover and let cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- While the beets cool, arrange baguette slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake, turning the slices over once halfway through, until toasted but not browned, about 14 minutes.
- Thinly slice the beet green stems and ﬁnely chop the leaves; keep stems and leaves separate. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the stems and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add the greens, vinegar and water and cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are tender and the liquid has evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in salt and remove from the heat.
- Peel the cooled beets and cut into 1-inch pieces. Place ¾ cup beet pieces, goat cheese and pepper in a food processor and puree until smooth (reserve the remaining beets for another use).
- To assemble crostini, spread about 2 teaspoons beet-cheese spread on each slice of toasted baguette and top with sautéed greens.
An Oldways recipe
NutritionPer serving: Calories: 82
Protein: 4 grams
Fat: 4 grams
Saturated Fat 1 grams
Carbohydrates: 10 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 181 mg