1 cup honey
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup whole grain rye ﬂour
1 cup whole wheat ﬂour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
¾ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the honey and brown sugar in a small saucepan, and heat over medium-low heat until just bubbling and the sugar has dissolved.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ﬂours, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, boiling water, and honey mixture. Gradually stir in the ﬂour and spices mixture.
- Spread the batter into a greased loaf pan (about 8 ½” x 4 ½”).
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven, cool 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool thoroughly on a cooling rack. The ﬂavor of this cake will improve stored at room temperature for 1-2 days, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap.
An Oldways Whole Grains Council recipe and photo