For the dough
3⅓ cups ﬂour, preferably whole grain
1 teaspoon salt
1⅓ cups warm water
For the ﬁlling
2 bunches fresh dill
2 bunches green onions
1 bunch parsley
1 bunch cilantro
3 cups spinach
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. To prepare the dough, combine the ﬂour and salt, and gradually add the water, mixing it in until it is completely incorporated. Knead the dough until it is soft and smooth. Roll it into a ball, cover it, and set it aside.
2. Begin to make the ﬁlling. First, wash all of the dill, green onions, parsley, cilantro, and spinach in advance to ensure they dry by the time you begin cooking. Wrap them in a towel, or paper towels, and remove some of the larger stems of the greens.
3. Roughly chop the dill, green onions, parsley, cilantro, and spinach. Add them to a large bowl. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper to taste, drizzle in the olive oil, and stir to combine well.
4. To assemble the ﬂatbreads, divide the dough into 8 balls, covering those that are not being used. Flour a countertop space or work surface, and using a rolling pin, ﬂatten out each ball of dough as thin as possible. Aim to keep an even oval or rectangular shape. Scoop a generous amount of the ﬁlling over the dough, spreading it out evenly. Press the two opposite sides of the width together into the middle ﬁrst, then fold up the remaining sides of the dough. Once done, use your palms or the rolling pin to gently ﬂatten out the dough as much as possible.
5. Warm a skillet over medium heat. Once warm, add the ﬂatbreads one at a time to the pan, cooking it on each side for 3 to 5 minutes, until the dough is cooked and has lightly browned in some areas.
Suggestion: If there is a green or herb in this recipe you don’t enjoy or cannot ﬁnd, swap it out with another option, such as Swiss chard, nettle, etc.
Recipe and photo courtesy The Vegan Armenian Kitchen Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from Armenia and the Armenian Diaspora, written by Lena Tashjian and photographed by Siroon Parseghian. Visit The Vegan Armenian Kitchen
Total Fat: 4g
Saturated Fat: 0.5g
Total Sugar: 0g (Added Sugar: 0g)