Active time20 minutes
Total time25 minutes
1 cup black beluga lentils (dry/uncooked)
3 cups water
3 cups of baby spinach, chopped
½ medium red onion, chopped
⅓ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, rinsed
⅓ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and quartered
⅓ cup basil or ﬂat-leaf parsley, chopped
Optional garnish: crumbled feta cheese, omit to make the recipe vegan
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon tahini
2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
½ teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and black pepper to taste
- To cook the lentils: First, pick through the lentils and remove any debris (like tiny rocks). Pour the lentils into a ﬁne-mesh colander and rinse under running water, then dump the lentils into a medium saucepan. Add the water and bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, about 25 to 35 minutes. Then, drain the lentils and return them to the pot to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium serving bowl, combine the spinach, red onion, sun-dried tomatoes, olives and basil. Set aside.
- To prepare the dressing, combine all of the ingredients and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Once the lentils have cooled for about 5 minutes, add them to the serving bowl. Pour all of the dressing over the salad and toss until blended. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Serve in individual bowls with a sprinkle of feta cheese on top, if desired.
Recipe and photo courtesy of American Pulse Association
Saturated Fat: 2.5g
How'd it Taste?
Review this Recipe