4 cups sprouted whole wheat ﬂour
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup olive oil
2 cups water
1 small red onion, ﬁnely chopped
3 scallions, thinly sliced
6 cups ﬁrmly packed, chopped leafy greens (such as kale or spinach)
2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
10 oz Feta cheese, crumbled (Can substitute in Manouri cheese)
1 ½ cups plain Greek yogurt
¼ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup sesame seeds
2 tablespoons milk
- Set oven to 400°F. Mix the ﬂour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the oil and rub the mixture between your hands until it reaches a bread-crumb like consistency. Add the water and mix until well combined, then cover dough with plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Put the onion, scallions, greens, and dill in a large colander and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Knead with wet hands to wilt the greens, then rinse lightly with warm water and drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine the green mixture with the cheese, yogurt, bread crumbs, and pepper. Then stir in the eggs.
- Oil a 9x13’’ baking dish and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the sesame seeds. Take ⅔ of the dough and roll it out into a large rectangle, then place the rectangle into the baking dish, letting the dough drape over the edges a bit.
- Fill dough-lined pan with greens mixture. Roll out the remaing ⅓ of dough into a large rectangle, and place over greens mixture, pinching the edges together to seal the top and bottom crusts.
- Use a fork to poke steam holes on the top of the pie. Brush the top of the pie crust with milk and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sesame seeds. Bake for 1 hour, then let cool for 10 minutes before cutting into 16 pieces. (Serves 16 as an appetizer or side.)
An Oldways recipe, courtesy of Kelly Toups. (Recipe adapted from Aglaia Kremezi’s recipe in The Oldways Table)
Total Fat: 16g
Saturated Fat: 4.5g
Sugar: 2g (Added Sugar: 0g)