1 cup farro
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
½ cup hazelnuts
3 cups arugula
½ cup pomegranate seeds (arils)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon maple syrup
½ shallot, chopped
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Add farro and broth to a pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While farro is cooking, toast the hazelnuts. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and spread out hazelnuts. Toast for 10 minutes until the outside skins begin to split open. Allow to cool.
- Make the dressing. Mix vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup, and shallot. Whisk or shake until combined.
- To remove the skin of the hazelnuts, put them in a clean dishtowel and rub until skins are removed. Chop the hazelnuts roughly.
- Assemble the rest of the salad. In a large bowl, add arugula, pomegranate seeds, and hazelnuts.
- When farro is done, rinse with cold water and drain well. Add to salad.
- Add dressing and toss well to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe courtesy of Emilia Petrucci and Oldways. Media: contact us for permission to reprint and for a hi-res image.
Total Fat: 11g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Added Sugar: 0g