1 ½ cups cottage cheese
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
½ tsp. ﬁne grain sea salt
splash of olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 shallot, chopped (optional)
¼ lb. brown mushrooms, brushed clean and chopped
½ cup fresh or jarred marinara sauce
2 big handfuls of spinach, washed and chopped
9 ﬂatbreads (or enough to make 3 layers) (pumpkin cheddar is a favorite, but use whatever you like!)
9-inch round baking dish, or an 8x8 baking pan
¼ cup grated cheese (Parmigiano-Reggiano, cheddar, or Gruyere work nicely)
- Preheat oven to 400°F and place rack in the center. Oil your baking dish well and set aside.
- Using a hand blender/food processor/regular blender, puree cottage cheese, milk, eggs, and salt until smooth.
- Line a separate deep dish or baking pan with the ﬂatbread crackers and cover with 1 ½ cups of the cottage cheese mixture, reserving the rest for later use. Let crackers soak for about 10 minutes — long enough for them to soften a bit, but not so long that they go mushy.
- While the crackers soak, cook the onion and shallot in a large skillet over high heat with a splash of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Cook until they begin to soften a bit.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid and start to brown, another 5 minutes or so, stirring a few times as they cook. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach and marinara sauce, then combine with remaining cottage cheese mixture and stir well.
- Arrange about ⅓ of the soaked crackers in a single layer in the bottom of prepared pan, breaking up any larger pieces to make a well-formed bottom layer. Ladle ⅓ of the spinach mushroom mixture over the ﬁrst layer of crackers. Add another layer of crackers, another ⅓ of the mushroom mixture, a ﬁnal layer of crackers and the remaining mushrooms. Place in the oven and bake for 28-30 minutes or until the top and edges are golden. Bake longer if a crunshier, more well-done upper crust is desired.
- Remove and cool for 15-20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
For more information on Doctor Kracker and for additional recipes, visit www.drkracker.com
Total Fat: 4.5g
Saturated Fat: 1.5g
Total Sugar: 5g (Added Sugar: 0g)