1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (2 large breasts)
1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs (4 large thighs)
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon allspice
¾ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Cayenne pepper to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Nonstick cooking oil spray
1 cup small tomatoes, ﬁnely chopped
2 carrots, ﬁnely shredded
½ cabbage (red), ﬁnely sliced
½. Napa Cabbage, ﬁnely sliced
2 cans of chickpeas
1 can of Kalamata olives, sliced and pitted
2 cups hummus
2 lemons, quartered
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Slice the chicken breasts into 5-6 pieces each and the thighs into 3-4 pieces each. Place them in a large plastic zipper bag.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ¼ cup olive oil, the spices, ¾ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp black pepper. Pour the spice marinade over the chicken pieces and whisk. Place chicken in the refrigerator and let it marinate at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
Oven Cooking Method
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray the baking sheet with nonstick cooking oil. Place the chicken pieces on the sheet, evenly spaced.
- Place the chicken in the oven. Let it roast for about 15 minutes until cooked through, turning the chicken pieces once with tongs halfway through cooking.
- Take chicken out of the oven and let it cool slightly. Use a sharp knife to slice the meat into small, thin shawarma-like pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet on the stovetop over medium. Pour the chicken into the skillet and sauté for 3-4 minutes until the smallest pieces of chicken turn brown and crisp. Serve warm.
- Spread the hummus around the bottom and sides of a bowl. Place the chopped tomatoes, sliced cucumber, carrots, red and green cabbage, chickpeas, and olives into the hummus bowl. Add cooked chicken shawarma to the middle of the bowl. Squeeze a lemon quarter over the top and enjoy.
- For a sauce topping, we recommend a Skhug Sauce, garlic sauce, or ﬁery Harissa.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Grecian Delight
Saturated Fat: 5g
How'd it Taste?
Review this Recipe