12 oz. brown rice penne rigate
4 tbsp. trans-free vegetable spread
½ cup amaranth ﬂour
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
Pinch of grated nutmeg
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. vegetable spread
3.5 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
4 oz. oyster mushrooms
4 oz. crimini mushrooms
1 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
1 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
¼ cup ﬂat leaf parsley, minced
¼ cup sherry
¼ cup chopped walnuts
1 clove garlic
½ tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
½ tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
2 tbsp. olive oil
¼ tsp. sea salt
almond milk, for thinning if needed
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bring 4 quarts of salted water to a rolling boil. Add brown rice pasta and cook al dente, drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Meanwhile, make the Béchamel. In a heavy bottom sauce pot set to medium heat, add 4 tbsp. of spread. When melted, add ﬂour and stir to combine. Reduce heat and cook for about 10 minutes, until mixture turns pale brown, stir with a wooden spoon. Be careful not to burn. Slowly whisk in 2 cups of almond milk. Place back on medium to low heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Reconstitute the dry porcini mushrooms by placing them in boiled water and let stand for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes remove from water; make sure to reserve the soaking liquid.
- Slice all other mushrooms the same size and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan on medium high heat, add 2 tbsp of olive oil. When the oil is hot add porcini mushrooms, parsley and garlic.
- Stir for a couple of minutes then add 1 tbsp. of spread and the sliced mushrooms, stirring for about 5 minutes more.
- Add the sherry to the mushrooms and let the liquid reduce. At that point add the reserved mushroom liquid. Cook down and let it reduce. It will start to thicken and have the consistency of syrup.
- Remove from heat and stir in Béchamel sauce.
- Prepare the walnut pesto: add 2 tbsp. of olive oil, remaining garlic and walnuts in a hand blender with a pinch of sea salt. Pulse until smooth, adding a drizzle of almond milk if needed. When smooth, add thyme and rosemary and pulse to incorporate. Stir into mushroom and béchamel sauce
- Toss pasta into the mushroom sauce mixture until well combined and pour into a 9x12 baking dish.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top begins to get bubbly and brown
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Heidi Gordon and Jovial Foods.
Total Fat: 22 g
(Saturated Fat: 3 g)
Sodium: 250 mg
Carbohydrate: 57 g
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 10 g