Nonstick cooking spray
One (15-ounce) can black beans, no salt added, rinsed and drained (or 1¾ cup cooked)
½ cup honey, agave nectar, or maple syrup
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons expeller-pressed canola oil
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup dairy-free, dark-chocolate chips
½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray an 8- by- 8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the black beans, honey, cocoa powder, chia seeds, vanilla, canola oil, and baking powder in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Scrape down the sides halfway through blending if needed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips and walnuts evenly across the top of the brownies.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the edges pull away from the side of the pan and the brownies are ﬁrm. To keep the nuts from getting too brown, place a piece of aluminum foil on top of the brownies half way through baking.
- Cool for a few minutes, and slice into 16 squares.
Reprinted with permission from Plant-Powered for Life by Sharon Palmer. For more recipes, visit Sharon Palmer, RDN.