3 over-ripe bananas
2 large eggs
2 cups whole wheat pastry ﬂour (or white whole wheat ﬂour)
⅓ cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease and ﬂour 10 cups of a muﬃn tin.
2. Mix bananas and eggs together thoroughly with an electric mixer.
3. Sift dry ingredients (ﬂour, sugar, salt, soda) together. Add to bananas and eggs.
4. Add nuts while mixing just until everything is combined. (Overmixing makes muﬃns dense.)
5. Spoon into muﬃn tins, ﬁlling each cup about ¾ full.
6. Bake for 20 minutes; muﬃns are done if a toothpick comes out clean. Cook a few minutes longer if necessary.
You can stretch this to a dozen muﬃns, but they’ll be rather small.
If you use a 9x5 loaf pan instead, increase cooking time to about one hour, then test with toothpick.
An Oldways recipe and photo. Media: contact us for permission to reprint and for a hi-res image.
assumes 10 muffins) Calories: 200
Total Fat: 5g
Saturated Fat: 0.5g