Active time20 minutes
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion
1 teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon allspice
A pinch of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, no salt added
2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, no salt added, or thoroughly rinsed and drained
- In a deep pan, shallow pot, or Dutch oven, heat one tablespoon olive oil on medium heat.
- Add the diced onions and let them simmer in their juices, stirring just a couple of times, until they are translucent (about 4 minutes).
- Add the ginger, allspice, cayenne pepper and curry powder to the onions, stirring for about 2 minutes, until the spices are incorporated and fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes, with their liquid, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the two cans of chickpeas and toss to cover; let them simmer on medium-low for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, add a pinch or two of salt to taste.
Oldways recipe and photo. This recipe is from our cooking program, A Taste of African Heritage. Learn more about it here, and watch our video about the program!
Media: contact us for permission to reprint and for a hi-res image.”
Total Fat: 3g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Total Carbohydrates: 25g
How'd it Taste?
Review this Recipe