Italian Vegetable Custard
Serve this egg bake for Sunday brunch or for a simple weeknight meal.
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups coarsely shredded yellow summer squash
1 cup coarsely shredded zucchini
1 (2.25 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
6 very thin tomato slices
1 small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
½ cup shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and flour until smooth.
- Add the yellow squash, zucchini, and ¼ cup of the olives. Mix well.
- Spread the mixture into a greased 8-inch by 8-inch baking pan. Bake in the center of the oven until custard is set, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the Parmesan cheese, basil, and garlic powder. Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the custard.
- Top the custard with the remaining olives, tomato slices, onion rings, and Monterey Jack cheese.
Return the pan to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 4 minutes.