Active time60 minutes
2 medium yuca roots, peeled
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Ground black pepper
Dried or fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Peel the waxy brown skin from the yuca roots and chop each one in half, width-wise at the middle, to make 4 pieces.
- Place yuca in a medium pot or saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil with a pinch of sea salt. Cook the yuca until you can pierce it with a fork (about 20-25 minutes).
- When cooked, drain the water and place the yuca on a paper towel.
- When cool enough, pat the yuca dry and chop the pieces into “French fry” sticks. Place the fries on a baking sheet. Lightly drizzle with olive oil, and season with sea salt, pepper, and thyme to taste. Use as much thyme as needed to dust each fry.
- Bake the fries in the oven for 20 minutes, until golden, turning once.
*A perfect pair for a garlicky dipping sauce like Oldways’ Garlicky Dill Mojo Sauce!
Oldways recipe and photo. This recipe is from our cooking program, A Taste of African Heritage. Learn more about it here, and watch our video about the program! Media: contact us for permission to reprint and for a hi-res image.
Saturated Fat: 4g
Review this Recipe