1 medium-sized tart apple
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
1 small avocado
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cups sliced red onion
½ teaspoon whole cumin seeds (or more, to taste)
1 cup lightly toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
10 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves, thoroughly dried
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Lemon wedges (squeezable!) for garnish
- Cut the apple into thin slices onto a plate and drizzle with about 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice. Cover the plate tightly and refrigerate.
- Pour the remaining lemon juice onto a second plate. Peel and slice the avocado, then place the slices in the lemon juice and turn them over until they are well coated. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized skillet or a ridged grill pan. Add the onion and cook over high heat for 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the cumin seeds and walnuts, turn the heat down to medium and cook with minimal stirring for another 2 to 3 minutes, or until the seeds and nuts give oﬀ a toasty aroma. Be careful not to let them burn!
- Add the onion mixture to the spinach and toss until thoroughly mixed. The spinach will wilt upon contact with the hot oil and onion. To speed this process along – and to be sure you include every last drop of the ﬂavorful oil – you can add some of the spinach directly to the pan and swish it around a little, then return it to the bowl. Sprinkle in the salt as you toss.
- Gently mix in the avocado, including all the lemon juice and the apple. Grind in a generous amount of black pepper and serve right away, garnished with lemon wedges to squeeze on top, if desired.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the California Walnut Commission.
Saturated Fat: 3g