1 medium red onion
1 can tuna or mackerel
Basil leaves, torn (as many as you wish)
Juice of 1 lemon
Equal amount extra virgin olive oil (to match juice of 1 lemon)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons capers, preferably capers preserved in salt (optional)
- Cut the onion into thin, half-moon slices.
- Chop the tomatoes, and ﬂake the tuna.
- Combine the onions, tomatoes, and tuna in a bowl with the torn basil leaves.
- In a small bowl, juice the lemon and match the amount of olive oil to the amount of lemon juice.
- Toss the salad with the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Divide among four salad plates. Add capers if you choose.
Inspired by Fausto Luchetti. Oldways photo.
Total Fat: 14g
Saturated Fat: 2g