Active time1 hour 30 minutes
½ pound of grape leaves
1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 onion, ﬁnely chopped
3 cups parsley, chopped
3 cups tomatoes, diced
¼ cup mint leaves, ﬁnely chopped
1 cup rice, washed (preferably brown rice)
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¾ cup lemon juice
Salt & pepper
2 potatoes, cut in slices
- Soak the grape (vine) leaves in hot water for 2 minutes, remove and set aside.
- To make the ﬁlling, combine chickpeas, onion, parsley, tomatoes, mint, rice, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Open ﬂat the grape leaves on a board and put 1 teaspoon of the ﬁlling in the center, fold 2 sides over ﬁlling and roll up tightly like a small cigar.
- Repeat this step till you ﬁnish all the stuﬃng or all the leaves.
- Place the potatoes in the bottom of the saucepan. Layer tightly all the stuﬀed grape leaves, cover with water and season with salt. Use a plate as a lid. Choose a plate that ﬁts inside the saucepan and press down on top of the leaves. This will prevent the grape leaves from opening.
- Cook on the stove over low heat for 1 hour.
- Serve cold.
Recipe courtesy of Al Wadi Al Akhdar
Total Fat: 16g
Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
Total Sugar: 4g (Added Sugar: 0g)
Review this Recipe