1 cup 100% pure pumpkin puree (not pie ﬁlling)
1 cup milk (we used nonfat milk)
1 ¼ cups water
3 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ cup ground ﬂax seed
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 cup uncooked steel cut oats
⅔ cup fresh or frozen cranberries
¼ cup pecans, chopped
- Use canola oil to grease the inside of the slow cooker, to prevent sticking.
- Pour water, spices, maple syrup, vanilla, ﬂax and pumpkin into a separate bowl and whisk until combined.
- Pour pumpkin mixture and oats into the slow cooker and stir to combine. Then, evenly sprinkle cranberries and pecan pieces on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 4.5 to 5 hours. We use a programmable slow cooker so that we can get more than ﬁve hours of sleep and still wake up to warm oatmeal. Once the oatmeal is done cooking, the programmable slow cooker holds the food warm. (Otherwise, you can make this ahead of time while you’re at home, then store in the fridge.)
- Divide into 4 bowls and serve immediately, or put leftover servings into the fridge for later. When reheating, we like to stir in a few tablespoons of milk upon serving to produce a more creamy oatmeal. To reheat individual servings, add about ¼ cup water or milk and microwave on high for about 1 ½ minutes.
An Oldways/Whole Grains Council recipe and photo, courtesy of Kelly Toups
Total Fat: 11g fat
Saturated Fat: 1g
Total Sugars: 16g (Added Sugar: 9g)