2 (4-oz) cans of sardines, packed in water
1 large egg
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper, divided
½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup plain yogurt
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons fresh dill
1 cup spinach
Optional garnish: capers
- Drain sardines, remove any bones (if not using boneless), then place in a small mixing bowl and mash them with a fork.
- Stir the egg into the mixture, along with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper, and form into 6 small patties.
- Mix the breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl with the remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, and gently press the tops and bottoms of each patty into the bread crumbs.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and saute patties on each side for about 3 minutes, until golden brown.
- To make the yogurt sauce, mix yogurt, lemon juice, and dill in a small bowl.
- Serve patties over a bed of spinach with yogurt sauce. Recommend 3 patties per serving for an entree (fewer for an appetizer).
An Oldways recipe and photo, by Kelly Toups