1 – 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or coconut oil)
1 Tablespoon honey
1 ½ teaspoons ras el hanout spice blend
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
2 medium sweet potatoes, halved, and sliced into ¼-inch thick half moons
2 medium carrots, peeled, and sliced into ¼-inch thick coins
1 cup prunes, sliced in half
Peel from one orange, in large strips (reserving the juice of the orange for later)
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, honey, ras el hanout, and salt together. In a medium bowl, toss the sweet potatoes, carrots, prunes, and orange peel with the oil mixture until they are thoroughly coated. If you have the time, allow the vegetables to sit for 20 minutes to absorb all the ﬂavors.
- Pour the vegetables onto a sheet pan, and distribute so that that they are spread into a thin layer.
- Roast the vegetables for 15 minutes undisturbed.
- Check the vegetables, and use a spatula to ﬂip them over, making sure that they are still spread into a thin layer. Rotate the sheet pan and roast for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Remove the orange peel. In a large bowl, combine the vegetables with the orange juice before serving.
** Note: using some cosmic purple and yellow carrots make an attractive presentation, but note that they may take longer to roast than orange carrots. You can also add chopped roasted nuts like almonds or pecans for additional texture.
An Oldways recipe. Media: contact us for permission to reprint.