Active time25 minutes
Total time25 minutes
Serving Sizeabout 1 1/4 cups
1 ½ cups frozen wild blueberries
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons chia seeds, divided
2 cups rolled oats
3 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
4 pitted dates
2 tablespoons peanut butter
- Add 1 ½ cups frozen wild blueberries and 1 tablespoon water to a large microwavable bowl, and heat for 2-3 minutes on high. The berries should look goopy. (You may also warm them on the stove.) Once they are heated, add 4 teaspoons of chia seeds to the bowl, stir well, and set in the refrigerator to chill for 15-20 minutes. The chia seeds will form a gel and thicken up the blueberries into a pleasant, jelly-like texture.
- While the blueberry jam is chilling, set out 4 jars (12.5 oz or larger) and ﬁll each jar with ½ cup rolled oats and 1 teaspoon chia seeds.
- In a blender, add 3 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 4 dates, and 2 tablespoons peanut butter, and blend until well combined.
- Evenly pour the almond milk mixture into the 4 jars and stir well.
- After 15-20 minutes or so in the fridge, your blueberry chia jam should be noticeably thicker. Once the blueberry chia jam has thickened up, evenly spoon out the blueberry jam into the four jars. Then, cover with a lid and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 6 hours, before serving. This recipe keeps for up to a week in the fridge, and can easily be made a few days ahead of time.
For a full step-by-step photo tutorial of this recipe, check out our blog post.
Kelly Toups, for the Oldways Whole Grains Council
Total Fat: 11g
Saturated Fat: 1.5g
How'd it Taste?
Review this Recipe