¾ cup softened butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
¼ cup unsulfured molasses
1 ¾ cups whole sorghum ﬂour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
Raw, coarse, or sanding sugar (or white sugar) for coating
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Oil or butter a large baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ﬂour, baking soda, cinnamon, and ginger. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar until ﬂuﬀy. Add the eggs one at a time, then the molasses, mix until well blended. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Beat at medium speed until the mixture doesn’t stick to the bowl, adding more ﬂour if necessary.
- To form each cookie, make a golf-ball-sized ball, and then ﬂatten it between your hands. Dredge each ﬂattened ball in the raw sugar.
- Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet about 1 to 2 inches apart, and bake for 6 to 7 minutes. (It’s important not to overcook the cookies, to make sure they stay soft and gooey.) Cool on a rack.