For the cake:
¾ cup white whole wheat ﬂour
¾ cup all-purpose ﬂour
1 cup sugar
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup sour milk (can substitute buttermilk)
¼ cup warm water
2 large lemons, zest and juice
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting:
½ cup cream cheese
¾ cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Optional garnish: Glazed lemon slices
1 lemon, thinly sliced
¾ cup sugar
- Let the sour milk and eggs come to room temperature and preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- For the frosting, mix the cream cheese with the icing sugar and and place it in the refrigerator.
- Optional: To make glazed lemon slices, combine the sugar with ¾ cup water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring 3 to 4 minutes, until the sugar dissolves. Add the lemon slices and simmer 5 minutes until tender and translucent. Drain and let cool completely on a rack before placing on the cake.
- Mix together the ﬂour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and zest from the two lemons.
- Gradually whisk in the sour milk, eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Finally, add the olive oil and the warm water.
- Transfer the mixture to the cake pan and bake for 55 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the cake from the pan and leave it to cool down on a rack.
- While the cake cools, take the prepared cream cheese mixture out of the refrigerator and add the olive oil and lemon zest. Stir well or blend with a hand mixer. Frost the cake and top with glazed lemon slices, if using.
Recipe and photo courtesy of GAEA.
Total Fat: 13g
Saturated Fat: 4g