Active time30 minutes
Total time30 minutes
1 ½ cups quinoa-corn elbows
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
⅓ cup raw sunﬂower seeds
1 ⅓ cups kasha
2 ⅔ cups boiling water
1 cup chopped parsley
- Cook the pasta in a generous amount of boiling water until just tender. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onions and a pinch of salt, and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onion begins to soften.
- Toast the sunﬂower seeds in a dry medium-size skillet over medium heat, stirring often, for 3 to 5 minutes, until they are aromatic and start to pop. Add the kasha and ½ teaspoon of salt and toast for about 1 minute to warm the kasha. (This will make it turn out lighter and ﬂuﬃer.)
- Stir the kasha and toasted sunﬂower seeds into the sautéed onions. Lower the heat, then slowly pour in the water. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed.
- Fluﬀ the kasha with a fork, then add the pasta and chopped parsley and stir gently until evenly incorporated. Serve immediately.
Total Fat: 10g
Saturated Fat: 1.5g
Total Sugar: 2g (Added Sugar: 0g)