Active time15 minutes
Total time1 hour
3-4 medium sized beets, tops removed
1 cup wheat berries
1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Juice of ½ lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
1 head curly green kale, tough spines removed and chopped
½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
2-3 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wrap beets individually in aluminum foil. Roast for 1 hour.
- While beets are cooking, place wheat berries in a saucepot and add enough water to cover them plus 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Then cover, turn heat to low, and allow them to cook for 1 hour while stirring every 15 minutes.
- While the beets and wheat berries are cooking, make the dressing. Combine the vinegar, olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk or shake to combine.
- Massage dressing into kale.
- Once beets are done, chop in bite-sized chunks. Add to kale along with wheat berries and walnuts. Mix well.
- Add in goat cheese.
Recipe courtesy of Emilia Petrucci and Oldways. Media: contact us for permission to reprint and for a hi-res image.
Total Fat: 12g
Saturated Fat: 2.5g
Added Sugar: 0g
Review this Recipe