4 cups whole wheat pastry ﬂour
2 to 3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 ½ cups buttermilk
2 Tbsp vegetable oil or melted butter
- In a large bowl, stir together the ﬂour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk and the oil or butter. Stir together until blended—some lumps will remain.
- Turn the dough out onto a ﬂoured board and knead about 10 times, or until it all holds together.
- Form it into a large ball and place it on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cut a deep cross in the top.
- Bake the bread in a preheated 400°F oven for approximately 40 minutes, or until it tests done (a cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean.)
Recipe and photo courtesy of King Arthur Flour Company.
Total Fat: 2.5 g
(Saturated Fat: 0 g)
Sodium: 300 mg
Carbohydrate: 27 g
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 4 g.