Active time30 minutes
Total time1 hour 30 minutes
1 lb whole wheat or whole grain lasagna noodles
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed, excess liquid squeezed out
2 medium zucchini, sliced
1 tomato, chopped
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 (16 ounce) jar prepared marinara sauce
½ cup kalamata olives, sliced
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
⅔ cup crumbled feta cheese
1 egg, beaten
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, removing from water when they are still a little chewy in the middle (more ﬁrm than al dente). Set aside to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion. Saute 3 minutes and add garlic and oregano, sauteeing for two minutes more. Add the zucchini and saute until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach, chopped tomato and jar of tomato sauce, and cook for about 1 more minute. Turn oﬀ heat, cover, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the egg, ricotta, and feta cheese and a generous amount of black pepper.
- Assemble lasagna: In a 13 x 9 inch baking pan, spoon a little of the sauce mixture into the bottom. Place a layer of the cooked lasagna noodles across this sauce. Ladle a generous helping of the sauce and veggie mixture over this, and spread half of the feta-ricotta mixture over the sauce. Sprinkle ¼ cup of the kalamata olives over this. Repeat this layering two more times, ﬁnishing with cheese. Add more oregano and pepper to top of lasagna if desired.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. Remove foil and cook uncovered, for another 15 — 20 minutes until lasagna is bubbling and cheese is browned on top. Allow lasagna to rest for 20 minutes or so before serving.
An Oldways recipe; an iStock photo
NutritionPer serving: Calories: 190
Protein: 9 grams
Fat: 7.5 grams
Saturated Fat: 2.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 23 grams
Fiber: 7 grams
Sodium: 250 mg.
How'd it Taste?
Review this Recipe