2 ﬁrm ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into ¼-inch cubes
½ teaspoon cumin
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 pinch cayenne
½ teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
12 salt-cured Moroccan or Thassos olives
½ pound fresh ﬂat-leaf spinach or escarole
2 olive-walnut Mediterra nutrition bars, cut in half lengthwise then into ⅛-inch slices (can substitute ½ cup chopped walnuts or cashews)
- Combine the tomatoes, cumin, garlic, cayenne, paprika, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the vinegar in a small bowl and leave the mixture to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Coarsely chop or shred the greens. Wash and spin-dry.
- Toss the greens with the remaining olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Season the tomato mixture lightly with salt and pepper. Toss with the greens.
- Place the eggs and olives decoratively over the top of the salad.
- Sprinkle with the sliced Mediterra nutrition bars.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, and serve.
Recipe by Diane Kochilas for Mediterra; photo courtesy of Mediterra.
Saturated Fat: 3g; Sodium: 215mg