1 cup farro
1 bunch Tuscan kale chopped (stems trimmed oﬀ)
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
⅓ cup red wine
½ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
16 broccolini stems
12 baby carrots (real baby carrots not bags of rounded nubs)
Olive oil for drizzling
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Simmer farro in 2 cups water in a partially covered medium saucepan over medium heat until cooked through but still al dente, about 35-40 minutes (about 20 minutes for semi-pearled farro). Don’t worry if there is a little water left in the pan when it’s cooked.
- Slice the carrots in half lengthwise. Place carrots and broccolini evenly on a baking sheet (I line mine with parchment). Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and roast until beginning to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a large skillet over medium heat, add oil then the onions and garlic, sprinkle with kosher salt and cook until beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped kale and ½ cup water, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until kale is wilted. Remove lid and add the red wine and cook without the cover until almost, but not quite dry.
- Combine kale with farro and stir in the walnuts, season to taste with salt and pepper, and top with roasted vegetables.
Recipe courtesy of Amy Sherman.