Active time15 minutes
Total time45 minutes
Serving Size1/4 recipe
1 cup uncooked farro
2 medium zucchini
1 small red onion
3 tablespoons exrta-virgin olive oil, divided
¾ teaspoon salt, divided
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ﬂat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the farro according to the directions on the package. Drain any excess water and allow to cool to room temperature. You should have about 2 cups of cooked farro.
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise into ¼ inch thick planks. Slice the onion into ¼ inch thick rounds. Brush both sides of the zucchini and onion with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of the salt.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Grill the zucchini and onion until they are tender and grill marks have formed, about 4 minutes per side. Allow to cool. (The farro and grilled vegetables may be made up to 3 days ahead and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.)
- Cut the grilled zucchini and onion into bite-sized pieces. Place them in a large bowl with the cooked farro, tomatoes, dill, parsley, remaining extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and the black pepper. Toss to combine.
- Serve warm, room temperature, or chilled as a side dish, or pair with grilled salmon or chicken as a main course.
Recipe and photo courtesy North American Olive Oil Association, from Ellie Krieger.
Total Fat: 11g
Saturated Fat: 1.5g
Total Sugar: 4g (Added Sugar: 0g)
Review this Recipe