1 large leek (white parts only)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 medium-size potatoes, diced (peeled or unpeeled)
1 pound broccoli (cut in small pieces; reserve some ﬂorets)
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
½ cup milk
1. Cut leek lengthwise and separate layers; wash to remove any grit. Then cut leeks into thin slices the short way.
2. Heat oil in a large soup pot and sauté leeks about 5 minutes, until soft.
3. Add potatoes and broccoli (except reserved ﬂorets), and the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. Purée soup using a blender wand, or in a blender. Return soup to pot, if using a blender.
5. Add reserved ﬂorets and cook for a few minutes, then add milk and heat gently but do not boil.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
• We generally use whole milk, but any type of milk works here. You can even skip the milk and use vegetable broth for a vegan soup.
• A little grated cheddar added when serving turns this into a lovely broccoli-cheddar soup.
• Or, season with curry powder for a zippy curried broccoli soup.
An Oldways recipe and photo.
Total Fat: 5g
Saturated Fat: 1g