1½ tablespoons olive oil
½ medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
2 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
2 cups potatoes, washed well and diced (keep peel on)
1½ pounds cod, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups frozen sweet corn, thawed
1 cup skim milk
Dash of turmeric
¼ teaspoon red pepper ﬂakes
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large Dutch oven or pot, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and scallion whites. Sauté until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes and cod. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add corn, skim milk, red pepper ﬂakes and turmeric. Cover and bring to a light simmer.
- Add salt and pepper, as desired. Garnish with scallion greens.
Adapted from recipe on Dish on Fish, courtesy the National Fisheries Institute