1 loaf of ciabatta (whole grain if available)
4 small summer squash
2 red peppers
1 clove of garlic
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ cup freshly grated parmigiano reggiano
- Pre-heat your grill to its highest temperature, or your oven to 400°F.
- Cut the summer squash into ½ inch lengthwise slices (4-6 depending on their size). Cut the peppers in half, deseed and then cut into slices about the same thickness as the summer squash. Cut the ciabatta loaf into ¾ inch slices. Peel the garlic clove and cut in half crossways.
- Line a grill pan with foil and lay the bread slices evenly in the pan. Drizzle with half of the extra virgin olive oil. Put them on the grill or in the oven until they just start to brown and get crispy.
- Remove the bread and rub each piece with the cut side of the piece of garlic. Place a slice of summer squash and a slice of pepper on each, and drizzle with the remaining extra virgin olive oil.
- Return to the grill or oven until the vegetables start to brown, between 5 and 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parmigiano reggiano cheese.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Positively Good For You.
Total Fat: 4g
Saturated Fat: 2g