½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, drained, rinsed, and halved lengthwise
½ teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 ½ pound broccoli rabe
4 cloves garlic, peeled
¾ teaspoon ﬁne sea salt
¼ teaspoon red pepper ﬂakes
- Marinate the olives with the fennel and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Set aside.
- Trim the base of the broccoli rabe from the stems and outer leaves. Using a paring knife, scrape the tough, stringy layer from the bottom inch or two of the stems.
- Lightly crush the garlic and heat with the remaining olive oil in a large casserole or sauté pan with a lid over medium heat until the garlic is browned.
- Add the broccoli and salt, and turn to coat. Add ⅓ cup water, cover, and cook until the stalks are tender, 5 to 6 minutes, turning from time to time.
- Transfer to a serving platter and scatter the olives across the broccoli. Sprinkle the red pepper ﬂakes on top.
Recipe and photo courtesy of FOODMatch